Pirate Party UK

SE England minutes - Guildford 2010-04-03

From Pirate Party UK Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search

The South East England region held a meeting at Rodboro Buildings in Guildford on the 3rd April 2010 from 15:00 to 18:00.



Contents

Attendance

Total: 3

Minutes

Meeting was informal. No set agenda.

Campaign

  • Main Parties have been campaigning for months now.
    • We're behind, but possible leeway given the fact we're a minor party, and recently formed.
  • £500 deposit doesn't necessarily have to be retained by votes, merely getting 50 new people to join the party would cover it.
    • An achievable goal to strive for, compared to getting over 2000 votes.
  • Discussion of mailshot details, Andrew to check specifics on this.
    • Discussion of what should be on mailshot.
      • Something about the candidate and his views, as well as general party info.
  • Not done any local press yet. Need to get going.
    • Need to get more press details: Checked WH Smiths for local papers after meeting, Andrew to get contact details.

Luke's non-pirate policies

  • UK Sovereignty.
    • Concerned over amount of law coming from EU, but agrees with free trade agreement, etc.
  • Wants more accountability in software development, similar to Engineering.
    • NHS IT System affair wouldn't happen if there was legal accountability.
    • Wants a British Royal Society of Software Engineers.
  • Concerned over pointless and ineffectual laws.
    • The ban on protesting outside of parliament, that doesn't stop the guy who caused the ban.
    • Some apparent law about ban on selling squirrels door to door.
  • Critical of UK-US Extradition Treaty. Very one-sided.

Pirate Policy Clarification

  • The policy on databases/ID Cards/the National Identity Register were unclear and need to be clarified.
    • Databases are good - wouldn't want to be excluded from NHS database, for example.
    • However, one overall database for everything, requiring biometric ID cards, etc. not good.

Conflict of Policy with other Pirate Parties

  • Question of how differing copyright terms, etc. between the Pirate Parties might undermine reforms at a European level.
    • If multiple parties achieved seats in 2014 EUs, would different parties voting for different copyright terms cause reform to fail?
    • Should discuss with Duke at some point, due to his involvement with PPI.

Post-GE2010

  • Cost of 2014, with EU election, likely General Election, and locals that year and the previous.
    • Maintaining funding up to this point.
      • Would be nice to have some large-scale investment, but will probably have to rely on small donations.
      • How to keep people involved and donating, with seemingly little happening between now and 2014.
        • Is it worth running in Regional Assembly Elections?

Next Meeting

  • Rather than specify a time/place, find out what works for members, organise around that.
  • Should be monthly, and preferably not on same day as London meets.
  • South-East region sucks, geographically.

Post-meeting

After finishing the meeting, we walked into the city centre to check WH Smiths to find out what the local papers were. Also did a circuit of the area, with Luke handing out project postcard leaflets, talking to Surrey residents.

  • Given it was a Saturday (and apparently a market day), quite high chance that some may have been South-West Surrey constituents.

X
We use cookies to provide you the best possible experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website. If you would like to, you can change how your browser controls cookies at any time.
You can also view our Privacy Policy
I understand. Don't show me this message again.