Nomination for Board - John Barron

Party Campaigns and candidates - get involved!

Re: Nomination for Board - John Barron

Postby azrael » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:17 pm

I'd be delighted to second John's nomination for the Board.
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Postby tempest3k » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:02 pm

I'd second this, but azrael beat me to it!
Phil Cooke
IT Team
Pirate Party UK

“This is my scrap of nowhere. You go on and find your own.”
tempest3k
IT Team

Postby scuzzmonkey » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 am

My question is an arse, and is as follows - what do you think needs to be changed, or modified, out of the following, based on your view on what the Board _should_ be.

Please go on as much as possible.

Code of Practice

General
There will be monthly Board meetings, which all Governors will be expected to attend or to make apologies for. The meetings will usually be held in the #ppuk-board channel on the PPUK IRC server.

Six voting Governors are required for a quorum. A decision by the majority of those present is binding.

Making constitutional amendments
The process for making a constitutional amendment has seven steps:

Proposition of amendment to the Board. Anyone can do this* at any time!
Internal Board discussions.
Consultation with the NEC.
Post-NEC consultation internal Board discussions.
Consultation with members. This will usually occur via the Board of Governors forum.
Post-member consultation internal Board discussions.
Member vote.
These steps can be quite slow, but have seemed to work quite well so far.

You may, if you wish, discuss in advance with other in the members forum.

Discipline and arbitration
Disciplinary panels shall consist solely of 5 Governors selected on the Board's discretion, but subject to any further condition. Any Governor with a potential and significant interest in the matter before a disciplinary panel cannot sit on that panel.

A panel will be set up following an official request received by the Board for discipline of a Party member or arbitration of a dispute. The panel will sit for as long as necessary.

The panel will investigate all of the available facts, and come to a decision. The panel will act independently of the rest of the Board and of the NEC.

Decisions of the Board shall be binding on all members in the case of disciplinary matters, or on the appellant in the case of arbitration matters. The Board cannot be bound by decisions of a disciplinary or arbitration panel.
- Will Mac (@Scuzzmonkey)
- Governor (July 2010 - March 2012), PPUK
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby scuzzmonkey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:52 am

John, could I please get an answer for my question - thank you.
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby scuzzmonkey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Thank you :)

I don't really have any follow up questions at present as I don't want to be seen as "picking on" certain candidates.
---
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby LozKaye » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:06 pm

Good to people contesting for the Board. This is a great way to be more involved with the party, as well as retaining the expertise we have.
In my position, I'm going to ask the same questions of each candidate.

The board has an overseeing role, which is a vital part of the functioning of the party. However, hopefully the workload should not be too great.
How do you see your practical work for the party developing?

The political and media environment we work in is fast developing . Stories change throughout the day, and if we are to be credible it is vital that we respond professionally and in a timely manner.

Can I count on you responding quickly if I need to phone / mail / tweet you with a practical task that needs doing?
LozKaye
Party Leader

Postby lhsi » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Questions for all candidates:

- What quality do you intend to bring to the Board that you feel is currently under-represented (or, that you feel is well represented, but think it is something the Board should have in abundance)?

- Hypothetically, if you had to vote to temporarily discard one of the core policies (Copyright and Patents, Privacy Policy, Freedom of Speech), which one would you choose? Which one would you argue the strongest for keeping above the other two?

- Hypothetically, if you had to add an additional policy that is not a current core policy (Copyright and Patents, Privacy Policy, Freedom of Speech), what would you recommend, and why do you think it fits in with current PPUK policies?
lhsi
Boatswain's Mate

Postby azrael » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:09 pm

Question:

One of our core duties is in making sure the constitution is suitable for Party purposes. Do you think it is currently 'perfect'? If not what needs changing? Other than a few cosmetic things which might need tweaking to say what they ought to mean (though please highlight those too) - are there any clauses that are wrong in both wording and spirit and need to be done away with? Are there ay gaping holes where new clauses need to patch previous oversights?
azrael
Party Governor

Postby azrael » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Question:

My perspective of how the Board currently operates is that it does so generally as a single entity. Each Governor is only a twelfth (ideally) of the Board and therefore doesn't speak individually with the full weight as when the Board issues communications. This has benefits (maximises the number of brain cells put in to making decisions) and disadvantages (takes 12 people longer to make a decision than 1 person). Clearly this benefit and disadvantage are flip-sides to the same coin.

What other advantages and disadvantages have you seen or can you imagine that this lack of individual 'authority' causes? Do you think this is the best way for the Board to operate or do you think individual Governors should have greater autonomy and decision making outside of the Board? If so how would this work?

The Board currently operates without a 'regular' Chair person. Meetings have a rotating chair person. Do you think the Board ought to organise itself with a Chair to lead Board processes? If so how would you see this working? Should it rotate frequently through fixed terms? How long? If there was a Chair should the Board imbue them with greater powers than a regular Governor, or indeed fewer powers than a regular Governor?
azrael
Party Governor

Postby azrael » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:29 pm

Question:

What is currently in the remit of the Board that shouldn't be?

What is not currently in the remit of the Board and should be?
azrael
Party Governor

Postby Gavman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:15 pm

As these questions were asked of another candidate I would be curious to see the response from all other candidates to the following questions:

1. What level of autonomy should regions of the Pirate Party have? (I'm thinking particularly here of Scotland, but the same issues apply to other parts of the UK with devolved administrations -- Wales, London, and Northern Ireland.)
2. Regarding Scotland, if there is a devolved party, should there be a Scottish leader?
3. What about policies/manifestos for Scottish elections; should they be decided by the Scottish Party or the whole of PPUK?
4. Regarding our manifesto, the constitution says (2.1): "The principal aim of the Party is that the United Kingdom reforms its copyright and patent and privacy laws in a manner consistent with the opinions of the Party’s members." In your opinion, does this preclude us having policies outside these areas?
5. Does this part of the constitution need changing? If so, what to?
6. Should PPUK have policies outside our core policies?
7. What other constitutional changes, if any, would you like to see?
8. According to the constitution (8.3 [ed. now 8.7]): "The Board may have other governance responsibilities which are as yet undefined in this constitution." what other responsibilities do you think the board should have?
* assange () has joined #ppuk
* Obama () has joined #ppuk
* assange slaps Obama around a bit with a large fishbot
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby cabalamat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:43 am

JohnB wrote:
Gavman wrote:6. Should PPUK have policies outside our core policies?

Broadly, I would say No: it is a great strength of ours that we are neither left-wing nor right-wing, and that we don't fit into the traditional mould of twentieth-century politics. So I believe that we should be strong in retaining that, and that we've seen our core policies do touch all areas of daily life and we can put that across.

When the party was founded, this was my opinion too.

But I now think we should have a wider range of policies, in part because when talking to people, many have said to me, in effect, "Yes I agree with you on filesharing, but X, Y and Z are more important issues for me, so I'll vote for someone else instead". How do you think Pirate candidates should respond when voters say that to them?
Philip Hunt, <p.hunt@pirateparty.org.uk>.
cabalamat
Party Governor

Postby borgs8472 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:19 am

JohnB wrote: as a Pirate politician I'd have to put my constituent's views first, and even overriding my personal views in some cases - and that would be part of my platform, the willingness to do that, though I'd also be open about what my own views are.
I'm assuming this is r.e. non core policies?
borgs8472
Space Pirate

Postby borgs8472 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:53 pm

I disagree that a majority of constituents anywhere support our core policies.
borgs8472
Space Pirate

Postby Gavman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:06 pm

borgs8472 wrote:I disagree that a majority of constituents anywhere support our core policies.

Good for you.

If that is true then it is our Job to attempt to inform people and using an evidence based policy try and show people the virtues of our policies so that the majority do support them.
* assange () has joined #ppuk
* Obama () has joined #ppuk
* assange slaps Obama around a bit with a large fishbot
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby cabalamat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:21 pm

JohnB wrote:Yes, that's right - I think anyone elected when standing as a Pirate candidate can pretty much know they've got enough of their constituent's support to take that as read.

Is this a misplaced apostrophe?

Assuming it isn't, even in a FPTP election where the Pirate candidate gets 50% of the votes, there's no way of knowing that a particular constituent supports our policies.

If you meant "constituents' support", then bear in mind that in a PR election, we can get elected on a lower vote share than that: 5-6% in the Scottish parliament, 5% in the London assembly, 15-20% in Scottish local government. So if a Pirate is elected to one of these, they would certainly not be able to assume that the majority of constituents supported them.
cabalamat
Party Governor

Postby cabalamat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:22 pm

borgs8472 wrote:I disagree that a majority of constituents anywhere support our core policies.

I suspect that a large majority of the public agree with us that alleged filesharers shouldn't be collectively punished without getting a fair trial.
cabalamat
Party Governor

Return to Candidates and Campaigning