Vote Of No Confidence - Peter Liddell

Talk to each other, be welcomed, introduce yourself, express your anger at something or anything else!

Vote Of No Confidence - Peter Liddell

Postby glambert » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:52 pm

Dear members,

As per section 11.3 of the constitution;
11.3. Additionally a vote of no confidence in a member of the NEC will be triggered when over 50% of the voting NEC members make their desire for a vote of no confidence known to the Board.

on behalf of the Board of Governors I am duty bound to inform the membership that a vote of no confidence in Peter Liddell as Treasurer was triggered unanimously by the National Executive Committee on Monday 14th March 2011.

Subject to a quorum of 10% of the membership voting; if a simple majority vote 'yes', Peter Liddell will remain as Treasurer, if a simple majority vote 'no', Peter Liddell will be removed from his elected position as Treasurer.

Voting commences as of 7pm Friday 18th March and concludes 7pm Friday 1st April.

Until the vote concludes, Data Controller Miah Gregory assumes the role of Deputy Treasurer to handle all duties Peter would normally do as Peter has been un-contactable for some time.

Please direct any questions regarding the vote of no confidence and it's reasoning to the NEC as the Board would like to remain impartial on this issue in-case the Board needs to intervene if Peter becomes active again and appeals.

--
Graeme.
glambert
Terror of the High Seas

Re: Vote Of No Confidence - Peter Liddell

Postby PeterBrett » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:13 pm

I am happy to answer questions here, by e-mail (p.brett@pirateparty.org.uk) or on IRC (peterbrett).
Board of Governors
"If you can do one thing every day towards raising the party's profile or making a material contribution to its activities, it'll make a difference. Let's do this."
PeterBrett
Party Governor

Postby samtheman14 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Why is there a vote being called? What has Peter Liddell done?
samtheman14
Swabbie

Postby PeterBrett » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 pm

samtheman14 wrote:What has Peter Liddell done?
Not a lot. That's the problem. :(
Board of Governors
"If you can do one thing every day towards raising the party's profile or making a material contribution to its activities, it'll make a difference. Let's do this."
PeterBrett
Party Governor

Postby PeterBrett » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Board of Governors
PeterBrett
Party Governor

Postby Gavman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:28 am

PeterBrett wrote:

Wow really informative...
* assange () has joined #ppuk
* Obama () has joined #ppuk
* assange slaps Obama around a bit with a large fishbot
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby tuoni » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:07 am

Gavman wrote:
PeterBrett wrote:

All I can say is I wish he'd turned up at the conference!
We do what we must because we can...
Everything I say is definitive. Reality is sometimes inaccurate.
tuoni
Party Secretary

Postby PeterBrett » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:57 am

tuoni wrote:All I can say is I wish he'd turned up at the conference!

He did -- he was collecting money from everyone! He missed half of the presentations, though, because he forgot the chequebook and had to go home to get it.

Gavman wrote:
PeterBrett wrote:

Specific issues: he failed to get control of bank accounts and Paypal secured in almost a year after taking over as treasurer, leading to one of the most serious Ericgate incidents; he managed to almost lose our party registration due to not filing the paperwork; and HMRC are fining us heavily because he hasn't filed a corporation tax return. More generally, he rarely takes part in NEC meetings even after they were rescheduled twice to try and accommodate him, claims lack of time but shows no interest in recruiting deputies, and is in general almost impossible to get hold of.

Miah spends more time firefighting "missing Treasurer" issues than he does on his own duties, as far as I can tell.

Is that informative enough for you?
Board of Governors
PeterBrett
Party Governor

Postby ati » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:07 am

That is more helpful information. Not doing the corp tax return can lead to serious consequences.
ati
Swabbie

Postby tuoni » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:08 am

PeterBrett wrote:
tuoni wrote:All I can say is I wish he'd turned up at the conference!

He did -- he was collecting money from everyone!
...I know.
We do what we must because we can...
Everything I say is definitive. Reality is sometimes inaccurate.
tuoni
Party Secretary

Postby Gavman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:38 am

PeterBrett wrote:Specific issues: he failed to get control of bank accounts and Paypal secured in almost a year after taking over as treasurer, leading to one of the most serious Ericgate incidents; he managed to almost lose our party registration due to not filing the paperwork; and HMRC are fining us heavily because he hasn't filed a corporation tax return. More generally, he rarely takes part in NEC meetings even after they were rescheduled twice to try and accommodate him, claims lack of time but shows no interest in recruiting deputies, and is in general almost impossible to get hold of.

Miah spends more time firefighting "missing Treasurer" issues than he does on his own duties, as far as I can tell.

Is that informative enough for you?

Hi Peter, I was not being flippant, I'm sorry if it came across like that but if you are asking the membership to partake in a 'vote of no confidence' the membership has a right to know why.

But thank you for responding and providing more information.
* assange () has joined #ppuk
* Obama () has joined #ppuk
* assange slaps Obama around a bit with a large fishbot
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby tdobson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:46 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for the explanations so far.

Peter do you have anything to say?

What would the procedure be if he is removed?
With Pirate Party UK's support, I stood in the 2010 general election for the Manchester Gorton Constituency

I don't see PM's very often, please email me instead: t.dobson at pirateparty.org.uk
tdobson
PPUK Candidate

Postby azrael » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:05 pm

If he is removed/resigns/dies/ascends/etc our constitution says:

10.15 of the constitution wrote:When an elected position is vacant an election process for the position will be held following the rules in section 10 corresponding to the position and within 30 days of the position being vacated or as soon as a candidate is proposed, whichever is the longer period.

Treasurer duties would be undertaken by others in the NEC until elections could be held. The constitution does allow elections to be delayed if there are no candidates, but I really hope that if the VONC does remove Pete that we can find candidates so that we can have elections starting within 30 days of the end of the VONC.
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Postby PeterBrett » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:48 pm

azrael wrote:Treasurer duties would be undertaken by others in the NEC until elections could be held.

Specifically, Miah Gregory is currently carrying out the duties, and could really do with some help from an accountant.
Board of Governors
PeterBrett
Party Governor

Postby mace » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:37 pm

PeterBrett wrote:
azrael wrote:Treasurer duties would be undertaken by others in the NEC until elections could be held.

Specifically, Miah Gregory is currently carrying out the duties, and could really do with some help from an accountant.

+1 :D

Seriously for a moment though; if there are any qualified accountant members that are willing to provide advise/services to the party, or as members you know of anyone who is PPUK friendly and fits the above, I'd love to talk to them, specifically with regards the corporation tax issues at the moment.

Thanks.
Miah Gregory
PPUK Data Controller
mace
Sword Sharpener

Postby azrael » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:48 am

Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Return to General Discussion