File Sharing Cost Research

Discuss Pirate Party policy

Re: File Sharing Cost Research

Postby PeterBrett » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Finlay_A wrote:Actually Peter, you're right, and on the scale we could do things at Strathclyde it would suit a contribution to a bigger research project more than one in its own right. Wasn't Philip a founding member of ORG?

I'm not sure, but that sounds about right. Okay, sounds like we have a Plan. Maybe prod Philip about it after the by-election? ;)
Board of Governors
"If you can do one thing every day towards raising the party's profile or making a material contribution to its activities, it'll make a difference. Let's do this."
PeterBrett
Party Governor

Postby scottainslie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Finlay_A wrote:Wasn't Philip a founding member of ORG?

Yes. http://bit.ly/dnB7ao
scottainslie
Sword Sharpener

Postby Aradiel » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 am

Things like this are always tricky - it of course would be good to get our name associated with an unbiased piece of research, but I imagine a lot of people will see the research, then our name, and conclude that it is biased.
Much like how whenever we look at research funded by the RIAA or MPAA we conclude that it's biased (I'm not saying it's not, only that our pre-conceptions taint our interpretation of data)

Still, I think this is a good idea.
Aradiel
Deckhand

Postby Vivan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:46 am

If you look at big pirate forums (a specific large music tracker comes to mind), you'll see they ALWAYS have a thread like "Why do you pirate?" and they are a mass of useful information which could be used for this sort of research.
Vivan
Lookout

Postby azrael » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:26 am

Aradiel wrote:Things like this are always tricky - it of course would be good to get our name associated with an unbiased piece of research, but I imagine a lot of people will see the research, then our name, and conclude that it is biased.
Much like how whenever we look at research funded by the RIAA or MPAA we conclude that it's biased (I'm not saying it's not, only that our pre-conceptions taint our interpretation of data)

Still, I think this is a good idea.

If you want to do some research on the area and publish it under a different name than the PPUK to try and avoid automatic assumptions of bias, could always get involved with my (not actually really going anywhere yet) idea for an external 'Pirate-oriented social and political research think-tank' see viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2063&start=0 and http://www.treehouseinstitute.org/home/
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Postby daviddian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:37 pm

if anyone knows japanise they might find this report by the japanise government about the cost of filesharing in the movie and tvshow industry
http://www.rieti.go.jp/en/publications/ ... 10021.html
daviddian
Swabbie

Postby Finlay_A » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:13 am

daviddian wrote:if anyone knows japanise they might find this report by the japanise government about the cost of filesharing in the movie and tvshow industry
http://www.rieti.go.jp/en/publications/ ... 10021.html

Added to the wiki page on "links to useful research" here. Thanks for finding this, good work :)
Stood for Westminster, Holyrood and Council elections in Glasgow
"Don't mind the potatoes, but the soup is good!"
Finlay_A
PPUK Candidate

Previous

Return to Policy Discussion