Glasgow Meeting - 25th Feb 2012

Is something happening that people should know about? Tell them!

Glasgow Meeting - 25th Feb 2012

Postby Finlay_A » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:52 am

First proper meeting in a while :D

Time: 14:00

Place: Mono café (we went there after the ACTA protest)

Directions: Google map. Under the railway arches, just off King St. If you walk east from the St Enoch centre along Osborne St you can't miss it. It's diagonally opposite 13th note. Not too far from Central/Queen St stations. If necessary I can arrange to meet people at train stations (wouldn't want anyone getting lost :P )

Agenda

  • Welcome
  • Current situation
  • Ongoing ACTA Campaign
    • Leaflets/Flyers
    • Talks/debates on ACTA
    • Provision for possible future protests
    • Engagement with MEPs
  • Local Elections 2012
    • Candidates
    • Campaign/Co-ordination Discussion
  • Future Meetings Schedule
  • A.O.B.

If I've missed anything from the agenda, or there's something you think should be discussed, feel free to post in the thread and I'll update accordingly.

Non-members are of course always welcome so feel free to bring friends/anyone who might be interested. If you're one of our new members it's a good way to get to know other Pirates (and the food's not bad either).

Hope to see folk there!
Last edited by Finlay_A on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stood for Westminster, Holyrood and Council elections in Glasgow
"Don't mind the potatoes, but the soup is good!"
User avatar
Finlay_A
PPUK Candidate
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Glasgow Meeting - 25th Feb 2012

Postby akerbeltz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Almost missed this. Yes, I'll be there!
Tha Gàidhlig aig an lìon, feuch e, 's fhiach e: iGàidhlig
User avatar
akerbeltz
Sword Sharpener
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Glaschu/Glasgow

Re: Glasgow Meeting - 25th Feb 2012

Postby cabalamat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:10 pm

I will also be there
Philip Hunt, <p.hunt@pirateparty.org.uk>.
User avatar
cabalamat
Party Governor
 
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Glasgow Meeting - 25th Feb 2012

Postby scottishduck » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Working unfortunately.

Hopefully I can make the next meeting.
Member of the Board of Governors. Email me at M.Wood@pirateparty.org.uk
New Job - Vice-Secretary for Whistleblowing at PPI
##Idling or not, I will be on IRC at pretty much any time irc://irc.piratpartiet.se/#ppuk##
Follow me on twitter! @MC_StallmanVEVO
User avatar
scottishduck
1st Mate
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Location: Lochgilphead, Argyll and Bute

Re: Glasgow Meeting - 25th Feb 2012

Postby Finlay_A » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:45 am

Minutes:

  • Welcome

    Members Present: finlay_a, robharris, laura_anne, akerbeltz, iceolate, cabalamat

  • Current situation

    ACTA update: European Commission has referred ACTA to the European Court of Justice. The party has already commented. It will also go to the European Parliament's International Trade (INTA) committee on Wednesday, which will make a formal recommendation to the Parliament whether to consent or reject the treaty. Other commitees will also give an opinion on ACTA [see here] and it's worth contact and Scottish MEPs that are on those committees.

    Council elections: We are currently finalising candidates and campaign managers.

    Syria: Discussed ongiong situation. Discussed possible Pirate stance and Pirate issues such as govenment surveillance and privacy tools for citizens (e.g. tor). Phil Hunt to write press release, others to collaborate as normal.

    Membership issues: New members' party memberships still pending. Advised it should be fixed shortly. Referred to NEC minutes for 20/2.

  • Ongoing ACTA Campaign

    Glasgow protest went well, not much press coverage. Finlay and Rob to review local press contacts in Glasgow, Phil and Stephen to do same in Edinburgh. Michael offered to do Gaelic translations of press releases to pass to Gaelic media.

    • Leaflets/Flyers

      In future we may wish to print high-quality ACTA flyers. Either using existing designs, or making a PPUK one, in a project-postcard style campaign against ACTA. Decided no further action for now, watch for developments of international anti-ACTA movement.

    • Talks/debates on ACTA

      Andrew Paliwoda had suggested a talk/debate on ACTA to which Loz may be invited to speak. Andrew was not present to discuss. Hosting public events about ACTA an option for further down the line.

    • Provision for possible future protests

      A second wave of protests took place across Europe today. We didn't have one in Glasgow as it woudl've been too short notice and would've probably been eclipsed by SDL. Future protests could be organsied with enough time to prepare.

    • Engagement with MEPs

      At the ACTA protest, Patrick Harvie MSP (Green, Glasgow) mentioned he would try to raise the issue with ACTA rapporteur David Martin MEP (Labour, Scotland). Finlay to follow up on this. It may be worth arranging a meeting with him or other Scottish MEPs at some point to discuss ACTA concerns. Finlay to see about arranging meetings with MEPs.

      Writing to MEPs: Christian Engstrom MEP (Pirate, Sweden) gives 10 arguments agaisnt ACTA on his blog. [read here]

  • Local Elections 2012

    • Candidates

      Glasgow

      Campaigns Co-ordinator: Laura-Anne

      Candidates: Finlay Archibald (Govan)
      Rob Harris (Anderston/City)
      Craig Martin (Langside)
      Andrew Paliwoda (Hillhead)

      Edinburgh

      Candidates: Philip Hunt (Meadows/Morningside)
      Stephen Bathgate (Southside Newington)

    • Campaign/Co-ordination Discussion

      Glasgow co-ordination will be done by Laura-Anne. National campaign management by Andy Halsall.

      • Online meeting

        We decided to have the meeting at 7pm on Wednesday 29th Feb, on Skype. This was the optimal solution. See this thread for info.

      • Central Location

        It was agreed that a physical location somewhere in Glasgow would be extremely beneficial for the campaign. Finlay to find somewhere suitable.

    • Attending Council Meetings

      Advised it would be good for candidates to attend council meetings to see how they work. Rob to organise attending Glasgow council meetings for Glasgow candidates. Edinburgh candidates to attend Edinburgh council meetings (Phil and Steven).

  • Future Meetings Schedule

    No meetings scheduled for the moment. Will talk again on Wednesday. Edinburgh and Glasgow meetings during campaign period to be organsied locally.

  • A.O.B.

    Michael to email Finlay re: Gaelic translations of party name, get press list for gaelic media for future gaelic translated press released.

    Arts license tax: Meeting on Thursday in Edinburgh. Phil and Stephen to attend, Finlay may be able to attend also. Glasgow Council has responded, Edinburgh has not. Pirate issues are raised, and could be one issue for council elections.

    Black March: Month long boycott of RIAA/MPAA products, proposed by various internet activist groups. Phil to email NEC to consider PPUK's stance.

    Training weekend, Manchester, 10th – 11th March. Finlay to attend, and arrange similar event for Scottish candidates.

End of meeting
Stood for Westminster, Holyrood and Council elections in Glasgow
"Don't mind the potatoes, but the soup is good!"
User avatar
Finlay_A
PPUK Candidate
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Aberdeen


Return to Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
X
We use cookies to provide you the best possible experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website. If you would like to, you can change how your browser controls cookies at any time.
You can also view our Privacy Policy
I understand. Don't show me this message again.