10.9.2 Governor exclusions

Discuss our Party Constitution and any suggested amendments here

10.9.2 Governor exclusions

Postby azrael » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:28 pm

Edit existing 10.9.2 from

A Governor is excluded from holding the following positions: Any NEC position.

to
A Governor is excluded from holding the following positions: Any elected NEC position except with Board approval in exceptional circumstances, or unless required by law.

To make it more consistent with 10.9.1 which allows a NECcer to hold another NEC position if required by law. This would allow a Governor to hold an NEC position and remain a Governor if the Board felt it was required - 10.9.1 basically allows for this anyway, so just removing a possible source of doubt/confusion.
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Re: 10.9.2 Governor exclusions

Postby scuzzmonkey » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:20 pm

agreed in principle - however I would like to see this as a non-voting position (i.e. the post has it's voting right removed if it has one) to keep some sort of distinction between the Board and NEC.
- Will Mac (@Scuzzmonkey)
- Governor (July 2010 - March 2012), PPUK
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby azrael » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:19 pm

I don't think that sort of complexity is needed in the constitution. I don't see such a clause being used except where the Party couldn't fill positions and there was too much work for existing NEC members. In such a scenario as, for example, only the leader being in post, members of the Board could take on other positions to free the leader up from the work load. However it wouldn't be good for the Party for the leader to be the only vote wielder in the NEC - as such the other holders even if also Governors, should be able to vote.

There *could* be an argument about what if (under 10.9.1) one person held 2 NEC posts, do they get 2 votes - and I think that bridge is best worried about when we get there! :) which we won't, ever, right?!
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Postby M2Ys4U » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:08 pm

azrael wrote:I don't think that sort of complexity is needed in the constitution. I don't see such a clause being used except where the Party couldn't fill positions and there was too much work for existing NEC members. In such a scenario as, for example, only the leader being in post, members of the Board could take on other positions to free the leader up from the work load. However it wouldn't be good for the Party for the leader to be the only vote wielder in the NEC - as such the other holders even if also Governors, should be able to vote.

There *could* be an argument about what if (under 10.9.1) one person held 2 NEC posts, do they get 2 votes - and I think that bridge is best worried about when we get there! :) which we won't, ever, right?!

That's easily solved - one person one vote, no matter how many positions they hold.
Jack Allnutt - Deputy Campaigns Officer, Member of the Board of Governors and former RAO for North-West England
Tweet E-Mail
M2Ys4U
Deputy Campaigns Officer

Return to Constitutional Discussion