10.X voting period

Discuss our Party Constitution and any suggested amendments here

10.X voting period

Postby azrael » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:47 pm

Insert new heading/clause between 10.7 and 10.8 (after Campaigning if passed) of

Voting

Voting must open to coincide with the closing of campaigning. Should the opening of voting be delayed this additional time is to be considered an extension to the campaigning period. Voting must remain open for no less than 14 days and normally no more than 31 days.

Not sure if we want to define a mandatory voting period. But if we do, here's a clause.
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Re: 10.X voting period

Postby tempest3k » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:53 pm

I'd prefer this to have a timeframe for opening rather than it having to coincide with the end of campaigning to allow flexibility within the administration process. Say within 48 hours of the campaign period closing?

Also, my personal opinion is that 14 days to vote is adequate and I don't see why a longer period would be required?
Phil Cooke
IT Team
Pirate Party UK

“This is my scrap of nowhere. You go on and find your own.”
tempest3k
IT Team

Postby azrael » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:05 pm

true ... though also the introduction of a campaigning period gives a few set dates when all candidates are known, and then a good chunk of time in which the admin can be all set up.

however leeway built in to transition between stages slightly slower than the speed of 'monarchons' might be wise :)
azrael
Party Governor

Postby scuzzmonkey » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:52 am

I agree with Tempest that 2 weeks is probably adequate enough time for members to decide who they are going to vote for. This would give us sometime around a month from the close of Nominations until a member is elected, which could be taken to mean up to a month of campaigning.

Considering this - and whilst I think that specifying a minimum time scale is a good thing - I would think that 2 weeks might be too long to be a minimum - so, how about 1?

This gives a bit more flexibility if we need to elect someone quickly - because we already do things far too slowly as it is - take the current DC/PS election as a prime example.
- Will Mac (@Scuzzmonkey)
- Governor (July 2010 - March 2012), PPUK
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby azrael » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:35 pm

How about

Voting must open to coincide with the closing of campaigning. Should the opening of voting be delayed this additional time is to be considered an extension to the campaigning period. Voting must remain open for no less than 7 days and normally no more than 31 days.
azrael
Party Governor

Postby tempest3k » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:38 pm

Better :)
Phil Cooke
IT Team
Pirate Party UK

“This is my scrap of nowhere. You go on and find your own.”
tempest3k
IT Team

Return to Constitutional Discussion