10.X Campaigning period

Discuss our Party Constitution and any suggested amendments here

10.X Campaigning period

Postby azrael » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Insert between 10.7 and 10.8 new heading/clause

Campaigning

Campaigning opens to coincide with the closing of nominations. Should the opening of campaigning be delayed this additional time is to be considered an extension to the nomination period. Campaigning must remain open for no less than 14 days and normally no more than 31 days.

Enforces a delay between nominations closing and voting opening to allow for a campaigning period to not disadvantage last minute candidates
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Re: 10.X Campaigning period

Postby tempest3k » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Does this change mean that a campaigning period will be required even if we only have a single candidate?
Phil Cooke
IT Team
Pirate Party UK

“This is my scrap of nowhere. You go on and find your own.”
tempest3k
IT Team

Postby azrael » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Current wording would. I should add that we might not want to enforce a campaigning period at all - this clause is intended to open up debate.

One could argue, with a single candidate, that even though no-one runs against them, that voters deserve an opportunity to hear what the candidate stands for before voting. If we offer RON as a candidate then it means we accept the possibility the candidate is not wanted. Skipping a campaigning period gives lone candidates even more of an advantage than they currently get.

Not sure how I'd feel seeing a campaign 'run' by a non-candidate to persuade voters to go for RON - but I think people should have the time and opportunity to do so.

If the lone nomination (and seconding) takes place just before the deadline. And voting opens 2 minutes later (I know we're not that efficient ... but let's imagine for a moment we might be ... well efficient or colluding...) then most voters will cast a vote before there's been any time at all for honest objections to be raised over why the lone candidate shouldn't win.

I ramble ...
azrael
Party Governor

Postby Gavman » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:28 pm

A campaigning period should be defined when opening nomimations in my opinion and does not belong in the constitution, as Tempest said, seems stupid to have it so long if only one candidate (although the counter arguement is that it give people a chance to find out more about the person)
* assange () has joined #ppuk
* Obama () has joined #ppuk
* assange slaps Obama around a bit with a large fishbot
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby azrael » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:39 pm

The problem with allowing durations to be arbitrarily defined at each election, is the lack of consistency that it could produce. Is it fair that one elected official has 2 weeks of being grilled and another (due to a perceived urgency at the time) gets rushed into office with 0 grilling time for members?

I see these clauses as ensuring a consistent process and providing fairness to the members - they aren't intended necessarily to make things easy for the elected officials themselves.
azrael
Party Governor

Postby borgs8472 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi

Perhaps a clause to allow the campaigning candidates to waive the minimum period should they wish to?
borgs8472
Space Pirate

Postby azrael » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:10 pm

I could imagine a candidate and/or candidates wanting to not give voters an opportunity to fully question their suitability and intentions. But do the voters deserve to have such a decision rest in the hands of candidates? Indeed should the decision on the process be made each and every time?

I can see an argument for not trying to go over the top with detailing the process. I can also see the argument for not making such decisions on the fly. If it is decided that we need a more pre-determined process, then I think candidates are the last ones who should have the ability to waive any of the rules.

Looking at the debate over the recent Board elections - it shows we might even need greater detail. e.g. if RON is a candidate or not, exactly how it works, etc etc (though this isn't the thread for *that* particular point).
azrael
Party Governor

Postby scuzzmonkey » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:30 am

I'm starting to get the feeling that this might be getting closer to CoP grounds for elections - although the obvious benefits of codifying it are apparent.

Hmmm, currently, if we have 2 weeks noms + 2 weeks camp + 2 weeks vote that's a month and a half from someone putting their name forward until they get elected. Now, obviously, we shouldn't be electing people lightly...but that does seem like a bit of a long time - I'd like to think that we knew whoever was stepping forward well enough to make a sensible choice without requiring that much extra grilling....especially as we get bigger and start doing things properly.

However, on the flip side....it is always possible for people to get squeezed in because membership voting turnout still isn't that high (that's an understatement if I ever saw one) so....

Personally, I wouldn't really want this process to last more than a month...but I can't really see where to trim the fat.
- Will Mac (@Scuzzmonkey)
- Governor (July 2010 - March 2012), PPUK
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby tempest3k » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:58 am

Campaign period could be a week to reduce timescale slightly? After all, nothing to stop candidates continuing to campaign while voting is ongoing but ensures an initial period for them to get their key messages out before voting?
Phil Cooke
IT Team
Pirate Party UK

tempest3k
IT Team

Postby azrael » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:36 pm

How about making similar change as to the voting period, so

Campaigning opens to coincide with the closing of nominations. Should the opening of campaigning be delayed this additional time is to be considered an extension to the nomination period. Campaigning must remain open for no less than 7 days and normally no more than 31 days.

allows a minimum of 2 weeks for campaigning+voting and a possible maximum of 2 months (way more than enough??)
azrael
Party Governor

Postby tempest3k » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Sounds good
Phil Cooke
IT Team
Pirate Party UK

tempest3k
IT Team

Postby cabalamat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:19 pm

tempest3k wrote:Does this change mean that a campaigning period will be required even if we only have a single candidate?

Or, for that matter, in multi-seat elections where the number of candidates is the same as the number of places.

I also think that the time for campaigning (and nominations, and voting) be specified in the constitution, and not left up to the NEC, so that no accusations can be made that they are favouring a particular candidate.
Philip Hunt, <p.hunt@pirateparty.org.uk>.
cabalamat
Party Governor

Postby cabalamat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:21 pm

tempest3k wrote:Campaign period could be a week to reduce timescale slightly?

Or perhaps a week normally, but a fortnight for the party leader, since that's an important job and it's therefore more important that the party choose the right person.
Philip Hunt, <p.hunt@pirateparty.org.uk>.
cabalamat
Party Governor

Return to Constitutional Discussion