10.7 Seconding

Discuss our Party Constitution and any suggested amendments here

10.7 Seconding

Postby azrael » Mon May 02, 2011 1:41 am

Affects 10.7

change

Nominations may only be seconded by Party members in Good Standing. Members standing for election themselves may not second other members. Members may only second one candidate per position.

to

Nominations may only be seconded by Party members in Good Standing. Members may only second one candidate per position. Members standing for election themselves may not second other members for the same position except where there is more than one position to be voted for; in such cases members standing for election may second a number of candidates equal to the number of positions minus one.

Clarifies where candidates can and can't second other candidates for Board and candidates for election to totally different positions than themselves.
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Re: 10.7 Seconding

Postby scuzzmonkey » Mon May 02, 2011 11:57 am

I thought the point in this was to stop a small group of people all seconding each other?
- Will Mac (@Scuzzmonkey)
- Governor (July 2010 - March 2012), PPUK
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby azrael » Mon May 02, 2011 7:36 pm

It was to stop someone standing for, say, treasurer, to second someone else for the same position. Or someone to second three other people for treasurer. But it wasn;t supposed to stop an individual seconding 1 person for treasurer and another 12 different people for the Board (as long as they themselves were not standing for the Board, if they were they'd only be able to second 11 others for Board).
azrael
Party Governor

Postby scuzzmonkey » Mon May 02, 2011 11:35 pm

I've got to be honest, I don't really like the idea of 1 person being able to second the significant majority of all other candidates - regardless of if they are standing or not.

I know that currently due to the size of The Party this may seem like a good idea simply due to the lack of people available to second, but I get the distinct feeling that this would have to be re-drafted in the event of increased membership.

In short, I don't see a reason as to why we would need one person to 2nd more than one person, as surely for a candidate to be adequate for the position they would have at least 1 person willing to 2nd them.

JMTP.
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby azrael » Tue May 03, 2011 7:47 am

scuzzmonkey wrote:In short, I don't see a reason as to why we would need one person to 2nd more than one person, as surely for a candidate to be adequate for the position they would have at least 1 person willing to 2nd them.

This clause still prevents Person X from seconding more than one (for example) Treasurer. The current clause and the proposed amendment both allow one non-candidate to second one person per position being elected.

However when it comes to an election for (for example) the full NEC the current clause is vague. "Members standing for election themselves may not second other members." might imply that someone standing for Treasurer could not second someone for Leader, and vice versa. Or it might imply someone standing for Treasurer could not second someone else for Treasurer but they could second someone else for Leader. The latter is what I feel this clause intended, and yet the clause is vague enough to warrant clarification.

I am happy to seek consensus for either interpretation, and re-write this clause accordingly so that it clearly says what it means and is not open for misinterpretation.
azrael
Party Governor

Postby scuzzmonkey » Tue May 03, 2011 10:03 am

azrael wrote:The latter is what I feel this clause intended

Ah, I was assuming the former :P

I can understand the logic behind your point, after all they are separate elections and simply because they are happening at the same time shouldn't have any real impact on who can 2nd. After all, if the elections took place one after each other then one member could 2nd everyone.

We have two types of elections, the occasional ones (to fill vacated positions) and the regular end-of-term ones - and for some reason I can't shake this niggling feeling that 1 member shouldn't be able to second every candidate for the NEC if they so wished.

azrael wrote:I am happy to seek consensus for either interpretation

As am I - however I get the feeling we might need a few more Gov's to way in - I'll collate my thoughts at work and re-post later in the day.
---
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Return to Constitutional Discussion