Swedish Pirates on Newsnight

Go Global!

Swedish Pirates on Newsnight

Postby cabalamat » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:06 am

The Swedish Pirate Party was on Newsnight last night.
Philip Hunt, <p.hunt@pirateparty.org.uk>.
Party Governor

Re: Swedish Pirates on Newsnight

Postby epriezka » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:14 pm

The Newsnight piece is a kick up the backside for all of us trying to form the British party. We need to get our act together. The BBC does a brilliant PR piece for the Pirate Party, but don't even mention the formation of the party in our own country. They mentioned Slovenia(!), The Czech Republic(!!) and even Ireland (!?!?) but not the party in Britain. My guess is that the journo must have taken a quick look at our website and decided we're a joke. I wouldn't blame him - our front page has not changed for two weeks, when I wrote that update on what the officers are up to. Lazy journos aren't going to wade through internet forums trying to work out facts for a story. Delay hurts us when it means missed opportunities like this. Johnson let slip that Labour is planning the general election for April, so we've not got time to waste and there won't be hundreds more BBC stories about the Pirate Party between now and then. At a crucial time, we're not delivering any useful information that journalists can pick up on and recycle into media coverage.

Philip, what are the current timescales for getting some improved control and content management over the front page of our website? It's nearly a week since we last talked about it at the officer's meeting but again there has been no signs of any real progress.

For anyone who missed it, you can see a cutdown version of the Newsnight piece here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8164698.stm. It sounds like the piece will be on the rotation for the BBC news channel today.
Space Pirate

Postby rancidpunk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:38 pm

I emailed Newsnight last night to ask why they hadn't mentioned us, might even get a reply! The reason that the front page hasn't changed is because the "Party News from the Officers" has been posted as a blog and then as a sticky on the front page, so even if we had anything new to post, that will stay on top. Hopefully won't be long 'til the new look is finished.
- No copyright, Piratpartiet, 1983 -
Terror of the High Seas

Swedish Pirates also on CNN..

Postby EdwardE » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:19 pm

Christian Engström reports that Piratpartiet were included in a piece on CNNs 'The Shooting Room'. The link to the clip is on his blog...

I agree with the comment on the front page. This is the PP shop window to the world. Articles addressed to members don't grab attention for people turning up to see what the Pirate Party is all about...

Postby Harlekin33 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:01 pm

Return to Pirates Abroad