Age discrimination in membership fees

A forum for people to voice their opinion, ask us questions, debate and discuss. Please use the search bar to see if a question has been raised and discussed before.

Re: Age discrimination in membership fees

Postby ez64 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:25 pm

samgower wrote:People under 21 tend to be financially dependent on their parents, and so have a smaller income. Therefore, it is reasonable to ask people under 21 to donate less than those over 21. This is not always the case, and many people over the age of 21 are also dependent (especially if they are in university) but it's as good as any place to draw the line.

Under 20 graduates do exist as well :D
ez64
Swabbie

Postby Aecidius » Fri May 07, 2010 4:47 am

glambert wrote:
m2ys4u wrote:I suggest a student discount rather than an under 21s discount.

How would you go about proving that people are students? Age verification is tricky enough.

Could ask for email confirmation with an .ac.uk email address, seems like a pretty robust way of doing it?
Personal Website - http://www.jjbarlow.net | Studying Digital Media @ Brighton University
Aecidius
Sword Sharpener

Postby samgower » Fri May 07, 2010 4:58 am

aecidius wrote:
glambert wrote:
m2ys4u wrote:I suggest a student discount rather than an under 21s discount.

How would you go about proving that people are students? Age verification is tricky enough.

Could ask for email confirmation with an .ac.uk email address, seems like a pretty robust way of doing it?

Excludes sixth formers.
samgower
Terror of the High Seas

Postby Aecidius » Fri May 07, 2010 6:31 pm

samgower wrote:Excludes sixth formers.

During sixth form I was given an .ac.uk email address. Is it only a handful of places which do this?
Personal Website - http://www.jjbarlow.net | Studying Digital Media @ Brighton University
Aecidius
Sword Sharpener

Postby borgs8472 » Fri May 07, 2010 7:06 pm

There's no need to confirm proof of student-ship, I say do it on good faith, if we find liars we might publically kick them out.

Technical student verification is not feasibile even by the mainsteam parties. Please accept this fact everyone.
borgs8472
Space Pirate

Postby scuzzmonkey » Fri May 07, 2010 7:58 pm

aecidius wrote:

During sixth form I was given an .ac.uk email address. Is it only a handful of places which do this?

my sixthform college piggy-backed off of the schools' web-domain, so that was org.uk.
- Will Mac (@Scuzzmonkey)
- Governor (July 2010 - March 2012), PPUK
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby samgower » Fri May 07, 2010 9:03 pm

aecidius wrote:

My school didn't give me an email address at all!
samgower
Terror of the High Seas

Postby Cymrobalch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:29 pm

borgs8472 wrote:There's no need to confirm proof of student-ship, I say do it on good faith, if we find liars we might publically kick them out.

Technical student verification is not feasibile even by the mainsteam parties. Please accept this fact everyone.

I agree very much with this.
Cymrobalch
Cabin Kid

Postby AndrewTindall » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:25 pm

At the NEC meeting on monday it was discussed (approved?) to change our discount rate to students/retired/unwaged, and have it work on good-faith.
Pirate turned Green.
AndrewTindall
Space Pirate

Postby cabalamat » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:23 pm

epriezka wrote:
borgs8472 wrote:What we need to do is open the member forums for non members and get more non-members to debate on this, maybe hold straw poll or two. Then we'll know the facts.

Relevant facts = what people actually do, not what they say they will do. The two are different.

The other parties all want to maximize both membership and inocme from membership, so lets look at what they do:

Conservatives http://www.conservatives.com/Get_involved/Join.aspx -- £25/y or £5 if under 23

Lib Dems https://www.libdems.org.uk/join_us.aspx -- £10/y, £6 for concessions (under 26, on benefits, students), gives people a choice of payment amounts up to £250.

Labour https://secure2.labour.org.uk/join -- monthly options from £1.63, yearly from £19.50. They require people to pay an amount based on what they earn, which I think is an invasion of privacy. Labour also require you to type in personal details before being told how much membership costs, which I consider underhand.

SNP http://www.snp.org/join -- Monthly from £1 (options (£3, £5), yearly from £12. Reduced rate for people under 5, over 65, or unwaged.

UKIP http://www.ukip.org/helpukip -- £20/y, reduced rate of £10 for OAPs, Students or those on Benefits

GPEW https://www.edirectdebit.com/greenparty/ -- lots of options. Minimum of £2.60/month. If you pay £5 a month, you get a free book. options are: £5/10/20/other at intervals of: monthly/quarterly/half yearly/annually.

Based on these examples, and assuming all these parties are more or less doing it right, I would recommend:

* a reduced rate for people under 21, over 65, unwaged or students

* options to pay monthly or yearly

* options to pay more than the mimimum amount. Yes people can pay more through a donation, but there's no hamr in making it easy for them.

So for example the options could be:

* reduced rate £2 / year

* mimimum payment at standard rate £10 / year

* Other options: Monthly: 20/15/10/5, or yearly 100/60/40/20

If we could get 400 of our members paying £10 a month, that would give us £48,000 a year (plus whatever other membership fees and donations we received). This would allow us to fight elections more effectively than we currently can.
Philip Hunt, <p.hunt@pirateparty.org.uk>.
cabalamat
Party Governor

Postby Hamish » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:28 pm

andrewtindall wrote:At the NEC meeting on monday it was discussed (approved?) to change our discount rate to students/retired/unwaged, and have it work on good-faith.

I support this. A party which is only beginning to grow can't afford to be so strict on things like age verification, we should trust any hopeful members that want to join. And student/retired/unwaged discount makes much more sense than age discounts. Someone under 21 could be working full time and can afford full membership, while an over 21 student or over 21 unemployed couldn't necessarily afford it.
Hamish
Boatswain's Mate

Postby Abedecian » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:42 pm

cabalamat wrote:* a reduced rate for people under 21, over 65, unwaged or students

* options to pay monthly or yearly

* options to pay more than the mimimum amount. Yes people can pay more through a donation, but there's no hamr in making it easy for them.

Also, I would also say for it to be optional (but preselected) to have it as a subscription, so it is reoccurring if yearly
Prof Lucas Abedecain
Abedecian
Boatswain's Mate

Previous

Return to Questions for the Party