Nomination For Party Leader: Peter Brett

Party Campaigns and candidates - get involved!

Nomination For Party Leader: Peter Brett

Postby PeterBrett » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:54 pm

I'd like to announce my candidacy for leadership of the Pirate Party UK. I am a 24-year-old postgraduate statement at Surrey Space Centre in Guildford, working on disaster monitoring with satellite-based high resolution synthetic aperture radar. Prior to my current studies, I attended the Oratory School, Woodcote and graduated from Girton College, Cambridge with an MEng.

I've been involved with the party since August 2009. After several years of ever-increasing consternation over matters such as gene and software patents, the onward march of draconian hardware-enforced DRM, and attempts to change the Internet from an intrinsically peer-to-peer network to something more resembling cable TV, it was refreshing to encounter a political party genuinely seeking to address these problems, and I signed up without hesitation.

Just before Christmas 2009 I volunteered to take on the role of SE Englands first Regional Administrator, and shortly afterwards, in February 2010, I initiated the successful "Project Postcard" flyering project. On the strength of that success, I was co-opted to the NEC in March 2010 as Deputy Campaigns Officer, and charged with the responsibility for running the party's General Election campaign. This was an enormous learning opportunity for me, and I learnt a lot about how not to run a national election campaign -- experience which I hope will help the party to make next year's devolved elections in Scotland a success!

In June 2010 I was elected as Campaigns Officer. With a great campaigns team (Andrew Tindall and Finlay Archibald, thanks for all your hard work!) I've been trying hard to keep the party's campaigns going, by working with our recently-elected Regional Administrative Officers and by encouraging people with good campaigning ideas. So far, it's sometimes been frustrating, but at times it's been massively rewarding. People who've worked with me will know that I'm good at chasing people up to do things they've promised to do, and that I keep a close eye on what's going on in the party's IRC channel, on the forums and on the various internal mailing lists. As Campaigns Officer, I've made it my goal to get to know all the party's active members, and to support their efforts to promote the party.

In addition to my behind-the-scenes campaigns work, I've also recently had the chance to act as the party's spokesperson at ORGCON and for a documentary about the effect of the Digital Economy Act on open wireless access points. As an academic researcher, I frequently have the opportunity to explain complex technical concepts to an audience unfamiliar with them, and I believe that these skills would be valuable in a party leader. Although I admit that I'm slightly very nervous about the idea of being interviewed by Jeremy Paxman or appearing on Question Time, I'm up for giving it a go! As I live within an hour of the centre of London by public transport, I expect to be able to respond promptly to media requests for media interviews.

As party leader, I would focus on trying to raise our profile in the general public. My top priority would be to revitalise the party's Press Team, and I would aim to capitalise on as many opportunities to get media coverage as possible. I would also work closely with the new Campaigns Officer and the Scottish regional members to figure out how best to approach next year's Scottish devolved elections.

I believe that my knowledge of and involvement in the party, along with my commitment and reliability, would make me a good Leader of the Pirate Party UK. Please vote for me.

(And please, someone, second my nomination!)

As usual, I will do my best to answer any and all questions you might have. However, please note that I'll be abroad without Internet access from the 25th August to 1st September inclusive.
Board of Governors
"If you can do one thing every day towards raising the party's profile or making a material contribution to its activities, it'll make a difference. Let's do this."
PeterBrett
Party Governor

Re: Nomination For Party Leader: Peter Brett

Postby borgs8472 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi Peter

I support your nomination. My only concern is the loss that your position in Campaigns would bring!
borgs8472
Space Pirate

Postby scuzzmonkey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:10 am

Would you stand down as a Governor on the Board if you are elected leader?

I'm sure you agree with me that this is a conflict of interests too great even for someone as awesome as yourself :P <3
- Will Mac (@Scuzzmonkey)
- Governor (July 2010 - March 2012), PPUK
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby PeterBrett » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:52 am

To clarify: if elected as leader I would resign my positions as Campaigns Officer and as a member of the Board of Governors.
Board of Governors
"If you can do one thing every day towards raising the party's profile or making a material contribution to its activities, it'll make a difference. Let's do this."
PeterBrett
Party Governor

Postby glambert » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:54 am

I don't see how being party leader and governor is any more a conflict of interest than being on NEC and Board.

Can I suggest we create separate threads for each candidate so members can quiz them, similar to the way we did over the Board nominations.
glambert
Terror of the High Seas

Postby rancidpunk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:48 am

glambert wrote:I don't see how being party leader and governor is any more a conflict of interest than being on NEC and Board.

Can I suggest we create separate threads for each candidate so members can quiz them, similar to the way we did over the Board nominations.

Since the board is a non executive position there really isn't a conflict of interest.
- No copyright, Piratpartiet, 1983 -
rancidpunk
Terror of the High Seas

Postby PeterBrett » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:50 am

glambert wrote:I don't see how being party leader and governor is any more a conflict of interest than being on NEC and Board.

The reason I would resign from the Board is more because I don't think I would have enough time for my gubernatorial duties and the duties of party leader, rather than because of the potential for conflicts of interest.
Board of Governors
PeterBrett
Party Governor

Postby glambert » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:07 am

Fair enough.
glambert
Terror of the High Seas

Postby ktetch » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:56 pm

I too support your nomination, Peter.
Having worked with you in the press office for a good few months, I have an appreciation for your work ethic. having been the leader of a national party myself, I can understand the loads, and think you are able to handle it.
Born in Liverpool, Live in the US
Former Head of the US Pirate Party, and Pirate Parties International. UK Pirate Party Governor
http://ktetch.co.uk
ktetch
Party Governor

Postby scottishduck » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:46 pm

I fully endorse Peter.
Member of the Board of Governors. Email me at M.Wood@pirateparty.org.uk
New Job - Vice-Secretary for Whistleblowing at PPI
##Idling or not, I will be on IRC at pretty much any time irc://irc.piratpartiet.se/#ppuk##
Follow me on twitter! @MC_StallmanVEVO
scottishduck
1st Mate

Postby rancidpunk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:27 am

Same question for all the candidates.

With the sudden resignation of our leader I have a question or two about who organises our internal elections. Who is responsible for overseeing them and who decides on the timescale for nominations and voting. It can't be the exec for exec elections, it can't be the governors for governor elections etc.
For example, if a governor wins the leadership election who ensures that provisions are made to trigger an election to fill the vacant governors seat.
How do you as a potential leader plan to ensure that free and fair elections take place promptly? Do you agree that someone outside our hierarchy of Execs, Governors, RAO's, candidates etc. should be appointed and ratified by members?
This individual should imho, should be completely non partisan and not be allowed to stand for a position in the party while serving in this position.
rancidpunk
Terror of the High Seas

Postby Pete » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 pm

And who oversees the election for that possition?
Peter Liddell
Pete
1st Mate

Postby rancidpunk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Pete wrote:And who oversees the election for that possition?

rancidpunk wrote:appointed and ratified by members?

Chicken and egg question there Pete, that's why I should have been more clear and said "appointed by the governors and ratified by members".
rancidpunk
Terror of the High Seas

Postby epriezka » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:53 pm

rancidpunk wrote:
Pete wrote:And who oversees the election for that possition?

rancidpunk wrote:appointed and ratified by members?

Chicken and egg question there Pete, that's why I should have been more clear and said "appointed by the governors and ratified by members".

I agree with John's suggestion. It's pretty similar to a reform I put in place when I was on the exec, which was the appointment of an election overseer by the exec, with the appointment ratified by a full member's vote. Of course, we didn't have a Board then, so an appointment by the Board makes more sense now.

I think it's a real shame the election overseer position has fallen into disuse and that the exec have not canvassed for volunteers to do what would be a very occasional job. If someone's willing to be on, say, the Board, the effort needed to be election overseer is minor in comparison. We were oversubscribed with volunteers to be on the Board. Would none of those people be willing and competent to do the job of election overseer? Is nobody on the Board willing to take this on also?
epriezka
Space Pirate

Postby VJ » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:19 am

epriezka wrote: Would none of those people be willing and competent to do the job of election overseer? Is nobody on the Board willing to take this on also?
I stood for election to the Board - if they wish to temporarily second me to the position, I'd be willing to put myself forward for this election. They can then take their time to appoint someone (perhaps me, perhaps not) afterward.
~share & enjoy~
VJ
Boatswain's Mate

Postby rancidpunk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:10 pm

VJ wrote:
epriezka wrote: Would none of those people be willing and competent to do the job of election overseer? Is nobody on the Board willing to take this on also?
I stood for election to the Board - if they wish to temporarily second me to the position, I'd be willing to put myself forward for this election. They can then take their time to appoint someone (perhaps me, perhaps not) afterward.

There we go, an unpressed volunteer willing to oversee the elections, action from the exec's soonest please.
rancidpunk
Terror of the High Seas

Postby epriezka » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:35 pm

rancidpunk wrote:
VJ wrote:

There we go, an unpressed volunteer willing to oversee the elections, action from the exec's soonest please.

Don't you mean action from the Board? If they're going to appoint this position in future, they might as well start now.
epriezka
Space Pirate

Postby azrael » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Having had the opportunity to meet VJ, which is more than I have many of the rest of you, I was disappointed to find that he hadn't been elected to the Board.
As I believe all volunteers should be punished for their eagerness, I think placing some sort of temporary election monitor mantle upon VJ's shoulders would be a great idea.

But anyway, so I can keep on topic:

Peter,

There have been quite a few 'radical' ideas proposed by Eric as part of his campaign for this position, some of which sound, to me, to be quite good. he does however plan to stand down again, which isn't a promise you've made.

So on the basis that you would stick the job out for a good duration, do you like and plan to implement any of Eric's good ideas (and there is nothing wrong with stealing ideas :D )?

Do you have any radical shake-up ideas of your own?

thanks
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Postby rancidpunk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:12 pm

epriezka wrote:
Don't you mean action from the Board? If they're going to appoint this position in future, they might as well start now.

You're perfectly correct, I should have said Board, but tbh I wasn't really expecting action from anyone :roll: , it's amazing what you get used to!

Btw, have the board decided who is the current chair of the board, at least then I would have someone to address the question to?
rancidpunk
Terror of the High Seas

Postby azrael » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi John, you can address the entire Board in one fell swoop with an email to board@pirateparty.org.uk
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Next

Return to Candidates and Campaigning