More deappg / digecon meetings

North East, North West, South East, South West

More deappg / digecon meetings

Postby MonkeyJam » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 pm

DEAPPG/Consumer Focus Meeting: Internet freedom and web blocking: UK policy.
4th Floor, Artillery House, Artillery Row, SW1P 1RT 26th Jan 2.00-6.00pm

DEAPPG/Creative Coalition Campaign (CCC) panel event:
The deact and the future of creative industries UK.
Chair: Chris Heaton-Harris MP (deappg Treasurer). Tues Feb 1st Dining Room B HoC
4.30-6.00pm.

‘Valuing multiplatform and innovating the UK media market’
Westminster Media forum with Nigel Evans MP and UKTV
Terrace Pavilion, HoC, Wed Feb 2nd 2011 4-6.00pm
http://www.westminsterforumprojects.co. ... =parl-offs

DEAPPG Event: The Digital Econoy, Consumer Trust and Privacy
Portcullis House, Thatcher Room Tues March 1st 6.30-8.30pm

DEAPPG/Consumer Focus Event: The Government’s IPR Review and the deact
The House of Commons, Tuesday 8th March 6.30-8.30

These are the upcoming consultations - I definitely cannot make the first one (I have an exam). But could probably do the others, would be nice to get a little group along to go like last time :).

I hope some of you can make them, if we can attend all we will be making an impression on Westminster.

Daniel
MonkeyJam
Administrator

Re: More deappg / digecon meetings

Postby Gavman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:50 pm

I cannot make any that are before 18:30 because of work but I will see what I can do about scheduling in the last two on that list
* assange () has joined #ppuk
* Obama () has joined #ppuk
* assange slaps Obama around a bit with a large fishbot
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby tuoni » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Gavman wrote:I cannot make any that are before 18:30 because of work but I will see what I can do about scheduling in the last two on that list
Ditto. I finish work at 1730 (if I can get out bang on time!) so anything before 1800 is basically a no from me... even then, it would be a rush.
We do what we must because we can...
Everything I say is definitive. Reality is sometimes inaccurate.
tuoni
Party Secretary

Postby azrael » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:30 am

more info on upcoming deappg event
Consumer Focus/deappg Event: The Government’s IPR Review and fair use rights. Rip, Mix, Burn - How can fair use rights make UK copyright fit for the digital age?

A panel event in the House of Commons, Committee Room 8, Tuesday 8th March 6.30-8.30

Consumer Focus: options for fair use rights in UK law

The economic impact of consumer copyright exceptions: A literature review

Time to change the tune – Consumer research briefing on copyright

In November last year our Prime Minster announced a review of the UK’s copyright framework to make it more innovation friendly, giving companies the breathing space to create new products and services. The Independent Review of IP and Growth, led by Prof Ian Hargreaves, set out to investigate what the benefits of ‘fair use’ exceptions to copyright may be.

What has been termed ‘fair use rights’ are essentially exceptions in copyright law which allow consumers and others to copy, adapt or distribute copyrighted works without the permission of the copyright owner. While the UK has a number of fair use rights, called fair dealing, for the benefit of research, news reporting and criticism, the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act only provides consumers with the fair use right to time-shift broadcast, ie record broadcasts to watch/listen at a later time, and the back-up of software in certain circumstances. Essentially the copying copyrighted content for personal use by consumers is largely illegal under UK law: the back-up of music, film and e-books is currently illegal and so is format-shifting, eg copying music into different formats to listen to on different devices.

Fair use of copyrighted content consumers have purchased is legal in most other countries through a general fair use or private use exception, and companies develop corresponding products and services. For example, format-shifting is legal in the US, and Apple has developed the iPod and iPlayer on the basis that consumers format-shift their CD collection into digital. This leads to the absurd situation whether UK consumers can purchase hardware and software that is designed specifically for something that is illegal in this country. And no UK consumer has ever been sued for the fair use of products they have purchased. So why has fair use not been legalised before? Is it time to update UK copyright law? What difference would it make to UK based technology companies? And how do artists feel about it?
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Postby MonkeyJam » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Even More!!

DEAPPG/Consumer Focus Event: The Government’s IPR Review and Fair Use.

This is a panel event open to the public, speakers include: Mike Weatherly MP, Jeff Lynn (coadec), Eric Joyce MP

Committee Room 6, HoC, Tuesday 8th March 6.30-8.30pm

http://www.scribd.com/doc/49254033/Cons ... yright-Law

DEAPPG/Consumer Focus Event: ACS Law and the #deact

A roundtable event with guests, in the Wilson Room HoC 4.00pm-6.00pm Tuesday 22nd March

DEAPPG/yahoo event: Preserving the open Internet: opportunities and challenges for the UK DE?

A panel event open to the public about net neutrality.

Chair: tbc, speakers from Yahoo, Skype, Which? ORG and more

Committee Room 19 HoC, Tuesday 29th March 6.00-8.00pm
MonkeyJam
Administrator

Postby Gavman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:23 pm

I just realised:

"DEAPPG Event: The Digital Econoy, Consumer Trust and Privacy
Portcullis House, Thatcher Room Tues March 1st 6.30-8.30pm"

Is anyone going to this? Is it an open event, or do you need to be signed up?
* assange () has joined #ppuk
* Obama () has joined #ppuk
* assange slaps Obama around a bit with a large fishbot
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby azrael » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Bit of a late answer ... protocol is often to let them know via 'further details contact' or 'RSVP' links on http://www.digecon.co.uk/events

Looks like the event on 7th IS only Lords and MPs.

But there are 2 events tomorrow:
via http://www.digecon.co.uk/events wrote:DEAPPG/Institute of Engineering and Technology event with Richard Stallman: Copyright, digital freedoms and the deact.

Tuesday 8th March, 10-11.30am in Room Q Portcullis House.

Richard Stallman, from the Free Software Foundation (GNU Project/Linux) is touring the UK:

ttp://www.theiet.org/about/media-centre ... 110203.cfm

RSVP: sophianpickles+deevents@gmail.com

For further details contact: martin@digecon.co.uk

and
via http://www.digecon.co.uk/events wrote:Consumer Focus/deappg Event: The Government’s IPR Review and fair use rights.

The House of Commons, Committee Room 8 Tuesday 8th March 6.30-8.30

This is a panel event open to the public and designed to support the governments IP Review.

Speakers include Mike Weatherly MP and Jeff Lynn (coadec), chaired by Lord Lucas

The government has asked the IPO and Ian Hargreaves to engage with the public to assist with their review of existing Intellectual Property rights.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ipreview.htm
http://www.uk-ipo.net/blog/
http://twitter.com/#!/the_ipo

RSVP: sophianpickles+deevents@gmail.com

For more details contact: martin@digecon.co.uk
azrael
Party Governor

Postby azrael » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:42 pm

The Stallman one looks interesting. but in the AM doesn't really work for me :/ It's like they expect us to be full-time politicians or something ;)
azrael
Party Governor

Postby azrael » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:12 pm

No idea how easy to get into. Last time we got into Portcullis house and we had <name escapes me> who works in Parliament with us and he pretty much told us what to do and led us by the nose. TBH nothing was all that complicated anyway.

I'd love to join you tonight, but after almost a week away skiing I should show my face around the house a bit (and also got a bunch of SE related emails I should be sending ... )
azrael
Party Governor

Return to Greater London