Google Analytics

Discuss and suggest ideas for the web-related aspects of the Pirate Party

Re: Google Analytics

Postby Gavman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:23 pm

Well [un]surprisingly, still waiting for a response on this matter.

I guess wanting greater transparency doesn't apply to this Party then?

It's like officials purposefully want to drive away( or at least simply ignore) anyone that dares raise concerns

But guess what? I believe too much in what the Party stands for to just walk away.
* assange () has joined #ppuk
* Obama () has joined #ppuk
* assange slaps Obama around a bit with a large fishbot
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby AndrewTindall » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:34 pm

the answer is we are still not aware of exactly who has what access. with other things, such as the stuff legally required by the EC, and preparing for the scottish election, handling this seems to be on the backburner.
Pirate turned Green.
AndrewTindall
Space Pirate

Postby Gavman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Andrew,

Before I go on, I want to state that I appreciate you replying to me and letting me know what is going on, I really do. And overall I am happy with the people we have running the Party

My problem is that if what you say is true, why has no-one on the NEC replied to my e-mail with any of this information?

I want to make it clear, I'm not out to stir up trouble, all I want is a transparent and accountable organisation and I believe that is what we all want, I know that all officials are volunteers but I really do not believe that is an excuse not to even drop me an e-mail to at least acknowledge that the points I raised are to being considered even if they have been given a low priority.
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby mace » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:00 am

Hi Gavman et al,

My apologies for not sending you an email regarding this, as AndrewT has noted, other issues have (and continue to be) higher priority right now.

However, your request is entirely sensible, justified and indeed just plain useful, so I'm going to ask that any interested parties begin a constructive discussion on the following topics:
  • Where should we collect a definitive list of who has access to what?
  • What level of detail should be included in such a list (or lists) - do we go as far as documenting specific access/login details?
  • Is (some of) this information potentially sensitive enough that we don't want to publish it in a publically accessible manner?
  • Who should be allowed access to some or all of this data?
  • How can we best collect all of the data in a timely manner, taking into account the voluntary nature of the party?
  • How do we ensure this data is kept up to date?

Feel free to add more topics if you think they are pertinent.

For the record, this exercise is intended to get more people involved and spread the burden so to speak so that we can come up with a satisfactory result for everyone in the shortest time we can.

Also for the record, I've had this thread open in a browser tab permanently since the first comments, little consolation I know as far as getting it sorted, but perhaps serves as an indication that it is definitely still on my radar.

Thanks. :-)
Miah Gregory
PPUK Data Controller
mace
Sword Sharpener

Postby azrael » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 am

One good approach might be for a member who wants to go ahead with this emailing every elected person and asking them what they have access too. Also might be good for them to PM everyone on the memberlist.php?mode=leaders list with the same question.

They could collate the different sorts of access and then maybe contact all the same people again with the 'list' of different things that someone could have access too, pre-filled with what that person answered the first time, just to check if thre is anything on the complete list the person might have access too but forgotten first time around.

As to what gets published, I'm happy for everyone knowing what I can and can't do. I can't see why any of my privileges should be secret/private (but happy to hear good arguments of the opposite view). If the final list is published, it could be also in the form of 'If you want to get X done, you can contact' which might make it easier for members to find the right person to talk to about things.
Governor of the Board 2010-present
Former South-East Regional Administrative Officer (2010-2011)
azrael
Party Governor

Postby tempest3k » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Sounds like the party needs an IT manager o.O
Phil Cooke
IT Team
Pirate Party UK

“This is my scrap of nowhere. You go on and find your own.”
tempest3k
IT Team

Postby Gavman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Well i didnt mean just take account of what assets & who has access/control of those assets that we have online, I meant overall although i concede that most if not all our assets are online/digital.

If a member were to take the time to e-mail all the officals that could, what guarantee would they have that all officials would bother responding? Or that all officals would know everything that they have access to?

This approach would not help identify non-officials that have access to offical stuff. (<- I know for a fact that this situation exists).

For the record i also agree that there will be information that should not necessarily be in the opublic domain but that doesnt change the fact that someone needes to manage this data.

Anyway, thank you for letting us know the state of play Mace, it is honestly appreciated.
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby scuzzmonkey » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 pm

tempest3k wrote:Sounds like the party needs an IT manager o.O

this - for a party full of nerds not having even a paper list of who has what access to some pretty sensitive information is ridiculous.

Miah, I honestly would expect you know _exactly_ who has access to every part of the site, the bank accounts, and party resources et al., from non-members upwards, and especially the closer you get to the top.

Does this info need to be publicly accessible? I don't care.
Should it at least exist for internal referencing? Hell yes.

We don't need to sit around and discuss this, just for general piece of mind I'd expect you to be all over something like this like a rash - or maybe you're just not as paranoid as me - lol.
- Will Mac (@Scuzzmonkey)
- Governor (July 2010 - March 2012), PPUK
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby mace » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:35 pm

scuzzmonkey wrote:

this - for a party full of nerds not having even a paper list of who has what access to some pretty sensitive information is ridiculous.

Miah, I honestly would expect you know _exactly_ who has access to every part of the site, the bank accounts, and party resources et al., from non-members upwards, and especially the closer you get to the top.

Does this info need to be publicly accessible? I don't care.
Should it at least exist for internal referencing? Hell yes.

We don't need to sit around and discuss this, just for general piece of mind I'd expect you to be all over something like this like a rash - or maybe you're just not as paranoid as me - lol.

Thanks for your reply Scuzzmonkey.

You are correct regarding some of the information - I hold information on the bank accounts, paypal, google mail, domains and the virtual server. The site database tracks various information on members and what access they have. However there are plenty of other resources out there which are not centrally managed, for example, twitter or facebook accounts (both "official" party ones and semi-personal PPUK branded ones), candidates own campaigning websites, blogs, etc which may be operated in the interest of the party.

So, the question remains, how do we find out about all these non-centrally managed resources and centrally manage them. :-)
Miah Gregory
PPUK Data Controller
mace
Sword Sharpener

Postby AndrewTindall » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:51 pm

well twitter I can tell you that at the very least me, monkeyjam, and andy_r have had the password. the password has not changed since any of us received it. I do not know if either of them still have the password. I am currently the only person who operates the account.

edit: the password has now been changed. Only myself and mace have access.
Pirate turned Green.
AndrewTindall
Space Pirate

Postby Infomage » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:46 am

mace wrote:So, the question remains, how do we find out about all these non-centrally managed resources and centrally manage them. :-)

Become Big Brother. Show everyone how paranoid we have become, sieze control of all methods of communication and implement strict censorship laws with draconian punishments for all infringers and suspected infringers of those laws. </sarcasm>

On a more serious note, anything that is genuinely "Official PPUK Output" should be managed centrally. Any individuals or groups should be entitled to do what they want, as long as it doesn't bring the Party into disrepute.

Any output that does risk bringing us into disrepute should be handled appropriately at the time.
Infomage
Deckhand

Postby borgs8472 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Yo
borgs8472
Space Pirate

Postby borgs8472 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:04 pm

azrael wrote:While I don't object to the access levels that some people have (indeed it's massively useful) I'm not clear on the rationale of why certain people have the access they do and why others do not.

It would be useful to have a list of all of those with special access, and what that access allows them to do, and why they need that access. (I'd be worried if there was no such record or no means by which to obtain such a list)

Parallel to that it would be good to have a list of criteria for how to obtain specific types of access by which to assess the existing list of people, and more importantly any new requests for access. (We can then see who has legacy access and may no longer need it, as well as help get new people navigate their way to getting access)

Finally it would then be a good idea for all that info to be put on the wiki and kept updated by one of those people with special access so that any time a request for something comes up, they can be directed to the list of those that can do it, or what hoops they themselves need to jump through to get the required access.

I kept that list in the webteam forum
borgs8472
Space Pirate

Postby tuoni » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 pm

I would suggest this should be one of the first jobs of the new Web Team, when it's good to go.
We do what we must because we can...
Everything I say is definitive. Reality is sometimes inaccurate.
tuoni
Party Secretary

Postby samgower » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:00 pm

I'll happily write a privacy policy including the bit about Google Analytics, providing that Miah signs off on it and/or puts it into action.
samgower
Terror of the High Seas

Postby tuoni » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:09 pm

I need someone with access to change the web site footer to add a link to our new Privacy Policy since I can't do it through the CMS myself.
tuoni
Party Secretary

Postby tuoni » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:03 am

This is now done. Thanks for all your help, guys.
tuoni
Party Secretary

Postby Gavman » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:38 pm

lhsi wrote:
You may refuse the use of cookies by selecting the appropriate settings on your browser, however please note that if you do this you may not be able to use the full functionality of this website.

What sort of functionality might I be missing out on?

None on this site. The privacy policy just has boilerplate google analytics privacy policy.
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Previous

Return to Web Discussion