Have we been hit by legal action? PB proxy down

Talk to each other, be welcomed, introduce yourself, express your anger at something or anything else!

Have we been hit by legal action? PB proxy down

Postby tentimes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:50 am

There is an ominous message on the PB proxy page.

Any news?
tentimes
Swabbie

Re: Have we been hit by legal action? PB proxy down

Postby Reloveution » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Also awaiting news.

How long's it been down?
Reloveution
Swabbie

Postby Omegasyn » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Also noticed that the TPB proxy shows the message, clearly something has happened.

However I have found an alternative proxy that seems to work fine:

http://pirateproxy.net/

Im guessing the BPI have taken the legal action to the next level and have forced the Pirate Party into (for however long) taking down the proxy. Hopefully this wont last long but the proxy i found above works fine straight to the Pirate Bay.
Omegasyn
Swabbie

Postby steff » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:15 pm

down aswell
steff
Swabbie

Postby skwirel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:15 pm

I think threat of legal action at the moment, against senior members of PP UK and website host. Taken down until legal advice sought. Just google for other pirate bay proxies, thousands of them.
skwirel
Swabbie

Postby plooterman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:40 am

I am very concerned that our party officials are being individually targeted. Bully boy tactics by the BPI, who are taking action against our proxy without even ensuring that most ISPs block the PB. Mine Plus.net owned by BT does not have a block.
I would be more in favour of putting up a guide to proxies and explaining why our proxy had to be removed, than fighting this in court.
I think this strengthens our arguments that the BPI are using more extreme and unreasonable measures to enforce their monopoly.
plooterman
Boatswain's Mate

Postby NukeZilla » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Here is what I think. Under the UK laws The Pirate bay is still NOT illegal. BPI is using scare tactics to try and shut them down. The few ISP's that have blocked access to the website never faced a fine. Until it's written in law that The Pirate Bay is illegal then it's safe to run.

I personally run my own proxy and I'm also in the middle of setting up a Virtual Private Network based in Sweden datacenter where TPB is hosted. Until I get a order from a court OR it's written in law that the website is illegal then i will keep providing access to the site and other websites that has been censored.

I do feel sorry for the 6 members of Pirate Party that are being targeting individually. I can see why they have taken down the proxy.
NukeZilla
Deckhand

Postby borgs8472 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Disappointed to get the announcement via the BBC, but oh well:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20782529
"Despite attempts by elected members to resolve this situation, the law at present is clear and makes any decision to continue hosting the proxy untenable," said the party's lawyer, Frances Nash.

"This is not the outcome the party wanted; however, any challenge to this proposed action would make it financially impossible for the party to deal with other issues for which they actively campaign on a daily basis.

:(
borgs8472
Space Pirate

Postby NukeZilla » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Finished setting up a VPN service. £6 a year for the 1 currently set up. but i am working on making a free one to allow access to websites. Your IP would be located in Sweden
NukeZilla
Deckhand

Postby Reloveution » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:19 pm

NukeZilla wrote:Finished setting up a VPN service. £6 a year for the 1 currently set up. but i am working on making a free one to allow access to websites. Your IP would be located in Sweden

Sounds great. Goodluck. :)
Reloveution
Swabbie

Postby NukeZilla » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:27 pm

89% completed for free. VPN Am i allowed to post a link to my TPB proxy??
NukeZilla
Deckhand

Postby borgs8472 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:10 pm

The forum rules on the matter have yet to be codified in about a year and a half.
borgs8472
Space Pirate

Postby Paddles » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:52 pm

pirateproxy, nuff said, they cannot keep us from using the site, the only reason they are trying to block this website is because they cannot take piratebay down, who are they telling us what we can and cannot look at on the web, be careful tho pirates, the next thing you know they will be attacking the consumers
Paddles
Swabbie

Postby NukeZilla » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:24 pm

What is the law about Pirate Bay. As for as I know it was just an injunction, NOT a law hence it's only the "Big 6"
NukeZilla
Deckhand

Postby MRES » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 pm

In response I've set up my own proxy for my friends to use. I'm going to encourage them to do the same and so on and so on. Hopefully the removal of this one proxy will spurn hundreds more spidering out across the UK.

I've also been passing on advice to people on how to edit their hosts file to bypass the existing BPI censorship and similarly asked them to pass that advice on too.

It's disgusting that a private organisation can impose censorship on specific sites with impunity rather than finding ways to supply the customers who use the sites with the services they obviously want. It's even more disgusting that the censorship of an entire domain blocks access to the mass of perfectly legitimate content listed there.
MRES
Swabbie

Postby plooterman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:28 pm

The BPI are obviously alarmed by the emergence of pirate parties –good! They wanted us to fight on a battle ground of their choosing. I think it is absolutely right that we defer, and fight on a battle ground of our choice.
plooterman
Boatswain's Mate

Postby aramoro » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 am

I do love a bit of righteous indignation at not being able to download your films and music for free. Imagine, someone wanting you to pay for the fruits of their labour? Madness isn't it?

I think it's the sense of entitlement I love the best.
aramoro
Hijacker Extraordinaire

Postby borgs8472 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:07 am

Go away.
borgs8472
Space Pirate

Postby aramoro » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:43 pm

borgs8472 wrote:Go away.

No. Not whilst your party still exists and continues to produce whining manchild comedy gold like it does.
aramoro
Hijacker Extraordinaire

Postby pre » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:50 pm

I think the right decision has been made, it'd be an expensive legal battle with little chance of success and the party doesn't have the funds to fight everywhere so we have to pick the battles we fight. It's not like the pirateparty proxy was the only way to access the Bay after all.
pre
Swabbie

Next

Return to General Discussion