The Party Name

Talk to each other, be welcomed, introduce yourself, express your anger at something or anything else!

Re: The Party Name

Postby tuoni » Sat May 14, 2011 9:46 am

We're actually missing out on another demographic: Pirate radio stations - they used to be huge, we're just the next generation doing the same thing in a different way. Maybe we could try tying something into that.
We do what we must because we can...
Everything I say is definitive. Reality is sometimes inaccurate.
tuoni
Party Secretary

Postby rancidpunk » Sat May 14, 2011 10:41 am

Skull 'n Bones!
- No copyright, Piratpartiet, 1983 -
rancidpunk
Terror of the High Seas

Postby tuoni » Sat May 14, 2011 10:43 am

rancidpunk wrote:Skull 'n Bones!
I don't think the party should take anyone with a YouTube channel which includes a mash-Up celebration of Pirates called I Can't Get No GIRLS seriously!

:D
tuoni
Party Secretary

Postby scuzzmonkey » Sat May 14, 2011 11:45 am

http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/wiki/imag ... oat_20.png

I've always liked the "Change Course" slogan on this poster crumbles did.
- Will Mac (@Scuzzmonkey)
- Governor (July 2010 - March 2012), PPUK
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby scuzzmonkey » Sun May 15, 2011 1:11 am

again though, I think if we do this we might be focusing too much on one specific area - hence why I prefer "change course" as an idea.
---
- "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." - Douglas Adams
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby tuoni » Sun May 15, 2011 7:45 pm

lhsi wrote:For us to do a pirate radio station, do you mean one using actual radio frequencies, or a pirate internet-radio station?
No, I meant try and appeal to the people who used to listen to them back in the 70's/80's
tuoni
Party Secretary

Postby aramoro » Mon May 16, 2011 10:29 am

If the idea is to get yourself taken seriously then you should probably avoid a CD crossed by Ethernet cables because it 1) makes no sense 2) it makes you the computer guys party who are bothered about that computer thingy with computers, yes my son is good with computers computers computers computers .....

Computers are only directly related to 1 part of 1 of your three main manifesto topics.
aramoro
Hijacker Extraordinaire

Postby scuzzmonkey » Mon May 16, 2011 12:02 pm

^completely agree.
---
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby rancidpunk » Tue May 17, 2011 4:03 pm

I've got an idea, how about a human skull with maybe a couple of femurs crossed behind it?

Or even swords in this all inclusive design, change the name of course,
British-Pirate-Party-Banner-300x234.jpg
British-Pirate-Party-Banner-300x234.jpg (28.11 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
rancidpunk
Terror of the High Seas

Postby AndrewTindall » Tue May 17, 2011 4:33 pm

I like how although that flag includes the dragon of wales, it relegates it to the status of the Cornish.
Pirate turned Green.
AndrewTindall
Space Pirate

Postby scuzzmonkey » Tue May 17, 2011 5:16 pm

AndrewTindall wrote:I like how although that flag includes the dragon of wales, it relegates it to the status of the Cornish.

your point being? :P

*equips shield*
---
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby AndrewTindall » Tue May 17, 2011 5:37 pm

scuzzmonkey wrote:
AndrewTindall wrote:I like how although that flag includes the dragon of wales, it relegates it to the status of the Cornish.

your point being? :P

*equips shield*

That it's highly amusing to see the dragon on the flag, as welsh nationalists often complain about, only for it to then be inferred to be as important as the "nation" of cornwall, which has far less legitimacy. So it's overplaying cornwall, whilst playing up wales but in a way that would really annoy nationalists.
Pirate turned Green.
AndrewTindall
Space Pirate

Postby Cymrobalch » Wed May 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Surely the Union Flag has far too much association with the BNP now. Personally, I feel national flags are pretty ugly anyhow, especially when you attempt to mix them all together. If you do want to go down the road of tipping your hat to each nation, including Kernow (Cornwall), you'd also have to remember Ellan Vannin (Isle of Mann) in the least.
Cymrobalch
Cabin Kid

Postby rancidpunk » Fri May 20, 2011 11:33 am

As far as the dragon is concerned don't you guys realise that it's not about the size, it's about the way you use it!

P.S. this was the flag of an old attempt to start a pirate party, I'm guessing the dragon wasn't "relegated" for anything other than aesthetic reasons but I agree that such an unintended slight might have almost been reason to go to war if we still lived in 14th century Britain, luckily we don't in case you hadn't noticed ffs. Oh, and if the Union flag means BNP then half the country was decked out for a BNP rally recently, or maybe it was something else?
rancidpunk
Terror of the High Seas

Postby scuzzmonkey » Fri May 20, 2011 11:54 am

Rancid: I think the only problem is, is that the fascists have completely hi-jacked any sense of nationalism and pride that most people (and myself included, annoyingly) do find it rather off putting. Yea, it's bullshit, but if we ran under the Union Flag, I would be certain the majority of people would mistake us for ultra-nationalists and racists - which is a pile of crap, obviously.
---
scuzzmonkey
Space Pirate

Postby Cymrobalch » Fri May 20, 2011 12:26 pm

rancidpunk wrote:Oh, and if the Union flag means BNP then half the country was decked out for a BNP rally recently, or maybe it was something else?

We all live in a fascist regime, as the song goes. Remember that no media were allowed to ridicule the royal wedding on that day (e.g. Australian Broadcasting Company wanted an alternative coverage of the wedding and were disallowed). Surely, as a member of PPUK, this kind of behaviour is unethical by your stance. Therefore, how can the media's spotless portrayal of the royal wedding with young and old waving Union Flags distract you from seeing it as anything but of the far right?

Plus, the Union Flag is a horrible looking flag, anyway.
Cymrobalch
Cabin Kid

Postby Finlay_A » Fri May 20, 2011 10:04 pm

In Scotland, using the Union Flag is quite a big statement. It puts you on one side of the unionist/independence debate, which would alienate a lot of progressive and sympathetic people. Also, especially in Glasgow, the Union Flag is a symbol of one side of the sectarian divide.

Chatting to people from other Pirate Parties at PPI conference, they have had similar problems in the early stages when they have used their national flags (I'm sure you've seen logos with national flags). Got a few unltra-nationalist nutters joining, not that they stayed very long mind you.

I'd be more concerned about the divisive political and sectarian statement anyway.

Also, seriously, wtf was up with the police's reaction to the royal wedding protestors, and how is it not a serious civil liberties issue?
Stood for Westminster, Holyrood and Council elections in Glasgow
"Don't mind the potatoes, but the soup is good!"
Finlay_A
PPUK Candidate

Postby Gavman » Fri May 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Finlay_A wrote:In Scotland, using the Union Flag is quite a big statement. It puts you on one side of the unionist/independence debate, which would alienate a lot of progressive and sympathetic people. Also, especially in Glasgow, the Union Flag is a symbol of one side of the sectarian divide.

Chatting to people from other Pirate Parties at PPI conference, they have had similar problems in the early stages when they have used their national flags (I'm sure you've seen logos with national flags). Got a few unltra-nationalist nutters joining, not that they stayed very long mind you.

I'd be more concerned about the divisive political and sectarian statement anyway.

Also, seriously, wtf was up with the police's reaction to the royal wedding protestors, and how is it not a serious civil liberties issue?

It's a huge civil liberties issue but we as a Party failed to act on it!
* assange () has joined #ppuk
* Obama () has joined #ppuk
* assange slaps Obama around a bit with a large fishbot
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Postby Cymrobalch » Fri May 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Gavman wrote:It's a huge civil liberties issue but we as a Party failed to act on it!

I've not been around, sorry D-:
Cymrobalch
Cabin Kid

Postby Gavman » Sat May 21, 2011 12:45 am

Duke wrote:
Gavman wrote:It's a huge civil liberties issue but we as a Party failed to act on it!
I did try to get involved; got in discussions with some of the involved parties, but no one here seemed that interested at the time. Sorry - I should have poked more people over that.

Duke, don't say sorry, we need to say sorry for not giving you our support in pushing forward with this!
* assange () has joined #ppuk
* Obama () has joined #ppuk
* assange slaps Obama around a bit with a large fishbot
Gavman
Swashbuckler

Next

Return to General Discussion